Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Reverse

If anything, today was entirely different than Monday. The highlights of today were the lowlights of Monday and vice versa. I'm grateful that there are people looking out for me, and give my utmost thanks first and foremost to those who are trying to get this Internship to work better so that the experience is even enjoyable than it already is.

Considering I was only at this hospital two days ago, I was recognized by most of the staff, and have noticed that I've already begun making friends here. (!!!)

First patient of the day was a rather large man with severe right lower quadrant pain. He had a cardiac history past, but it was my understanding that this was not a cardiac issue. When left alone in the examining room with him, I found that I had little to say besides questioning him about his pain and where it radiated to, and I realized that I'm in a totally different place than I've ever been. I've somehow gained this right to ask people pertinent questions about their visit to the ER and they actually treat me with respect. I've noticed that almost all the patients I've come in contact with are openly willing to share their life story. To cut to the point, it's amazing.

The ER was not busy today until about an hour before I left. However, I divided my time between following Techs, Nurses, a Physicians Assistant and a Doctor. Everyone here seems very open and willing for me to shadow them and are open to questions about any procedure.

An elderly man came in with scalp avulsion (a forcible tearing or surgical separation of one body part from another) and I got to watch as his scalp was literally stapled back together. Bloody, but fascinating.

Another moment I was assisting with an EKG when the announcement "Code Blue" was announced. Code Blue is the secret term for active CPR in progress, and all of a sudden, I admit, I got terribly excited. It was only then that I realized how morbid I am: I get excited because there's the possibility I could see people dying. Fortunately for the patient, his heart had only temporarily stopped--then started again--so the code was called off.

I also assisted/watched two urinary catheters placed, but this time in placed in women. Let me tell you, this is no better an experience than watching/assisting it placed in men. It's gross, uncomfortable, and makes you feel strange internally...difficult to explain unless you've seen the procedure.

I paid a visit to the psych ward where there are always the best of the best just waiting for you to meet with them. In this case, it was an unruly woman who was playing the lively game of "Guess how many times I can say a four letter word that starts with F in less than five minutes" Let's just say the count was extraordinarily high--and I had to help draw blood on her. Psych patients sure are special...

A call from the ambulance came in for an unresponsive woman with bradycardia (slow heart rate) so the room was set up and I eagerly awaited her arrival. She came in with a dangerously low blood pressure and respiratory rate yet managed to stay somewhat aware all throughout. The Doctor placed a Central Venous Catheter into this woman's chest where her subclavian vein is located (right below where the clavicle bone is located). This is quite a procedure to watch and I was right next to the Doctor. He placed the catheter, slit open a small portion of her chest with a scalpel, drew some blood, kept the catheter in and stitched it up. To me, simply amazing. To the staff, more than likely, a normal day at work.

My final patients of the day were two people involved in a car accident. I got to attend to this little girl who was dearly sweet and very concerned that her pulse, blood pressure, and pulse oximetry levels were not good enough. She was also asking what happens if she "stops doing good". Fortunately, her exam checked out just fine but on the way home I happened to see where the accident had taken place, and the damage was extreme--the little girl was fortunate to walk away from the accident with no damage.

I look forward to next week....let's see if anyone remembers me, and if maybe this time I'll be able to participate in more patient care. I'm itching to do an IV/blood draw again...

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment