Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Day One

Day one was about as uneventful as one can hope for. A few broken bones, a couple suicide attempts--the normal stuff that brings one into an Emergency Department. I can't say that I got extraordinarily excited over any of the events, but it certainly was enjoyable watching the employees at work, drawing blood, doing vitals, patient interaction etc.

The first day of anything is always super awkward because a) no one knows who you are and b) you get forgotten about/ignored because no one knows what to say to you.

My day primarily consisted of people staring (literally, staring) at my name badge which identifies me as a student. Unfortunately, the clip for my name badge is right at my pelvic region, so it creates shall we say....an awkward feeling as people are staring at it, trying to figure out who the girl is in the white button up top and blue cargo pants.

After the moments of people staring at me, I was often mentioned as "the EMT Student" of which I am no longer...but how do you tell people without sounding uppity that you are an "Intern"? I did the class, I did registry. I should get some credit, right? (Even still, I don't know exactly what I should be doing as an Intern...

I got ignored by the staff for the most part of the day, something which I have discovered is normal. Again, people don't know who I am, or what I am doing in their department, and so human nature tends to just pretend that the person they do not know does not exist.

I also was told that because of the economy it is rather hopeless for me to find a job in this field without some hardcore experience (Hello!! What is the point of me doing this internship?!?) But I digress...maybe next week, when I'm back, interacting with the same staff members there will be some recognition of who I am. But maybe not.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment