Tuesday, February 9, 2010

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy

Today started off a lot better than last week. Only one staff member recognized me so I had to feel awkward again and re-do introductions. One Tech even said "I didn't know anyone was coming in for a clinical today". Nice to know that no one is aware of my Internship.

So, the Paramedics brought in a man having a heart attack (aka Myocardial Infarction). At the urging of the ER staff, I went to the Cath Lab. Now, for those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, a Cath Lab simply is a "department in the hospital that specializes in cardiac cathertization which is a procedure to examine blood flow to the heart and test how well the heart is pumping" (americanheart.org)

There we have this immensely sterile room, and I'm given a cap and face mask and told to "stand by that chair over there" and watch. Mercifully, a nurse was kind enough to explain the procedure. Essentially, the Doctor and Nurse stuck a catheter into the patient's femoral artery which would lead into the heart. I watched on the screen as they explained the man was having a heart attack, and they showed me his blocked arteries. Quite simply (and amazingly) they unclogged the arteries and placed a stent to prevent this event from happening again. Words cannot express how cool this was to watch a man's beating heart on a screen and seeing a clogged artery repaired and the pain of a heart attack alleviated.

The ER was busy today, and I did something I never, ever (repeat ever) imagined doing.

*Hint, the following portion is not for sensitive readers*

The technician that I was shadowing today asked me to help her place a urinary catheter. It sounds harmless. Until you understand the procedure. You take this long catheter and place it into (in this case) a man's urinary tract through the penis.

Now, I was fine watching this procedure--and secretly I was praying that I would not have to assist because a) I really don't want to be placing my hands on a man down there and b) I know there's a first time for everything, but I was content to never even assist. So imagine the sinking of my heart when I was asked to hold this man's...erm...body part open so that the catheter could be inserted.

It not only took longer than expected, it was awkward for me, and the patient. I wanted to blush, puke, and run away simultaneously. Instead, I tried not to breath in too deeply, and did my job while thinking to myself that this was something not in my plans for....my life.

But, it's over and done with. Thank God. Other than those two events for the day, I assisted in vitals, removing an IV and assisting with patients who had gotten themselves into some pretty scary accidents.

Never-the-less, this is what I love to do. I'm grateful that this week I was able to have more hands on work (perhaps a bit too much hands on if you get my gist, haha) and I think this day is one that can go in the books as some "EMT experience" that will look good on a resume.

No comments:

Post a Comment