Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Whatever's Clever!

For some reason, every week I have to battle within myself to go the Emergency Department that I've been interning at for the last month. I'm not sure if it's because this is a hospital I do not personally enjoy, or if it's that same fear of getting yelled at, ignored, or forgotten about week after week.

I walk into the ER today and for a second I believe that the nurse in admitting recognizes me. She does not, but she does ask "what's your name again?" I then get handed off like a nuisance to a Technician who surprisingly recognizes me. Of course, this is a male Tech and believe it or not, guys are always friendlier to me than woman are. Imagine that....!

So he and I gallivant around the department--it is unusually busy, and the charge nurse--a woman who is about ten feet tall, (no lie) is calling out orders to everyone else. She is stressed though at this point, and as a side note, I'm not sure what a charge nurse does besides yell at people and sit at a desk.

Naturally, she hates me. Though she does not seem to remember me, I well remember her. I saw and spoke to her at my very first clinical back in September, and I spoke to her a few weeks ago, while she looked at me, well to be honest, like I was retarded. So, on my part, I've tried to befriend this giantess...but she wants no part in it.

She wound up telling me to stay on the opposite side of the desk of her so that I "don't get in the way". However, where she placed me only proved to be more a hassle for any of the bustling staff, so I silently glowered yet managed to keep a cheery face on all the while. Ahh, my secret talent.

So, nothing much in the ER took place today that makes for an exciting read. I took some blood pressures, watched a drunken young man sleep who looked like an angel, yet upon waking was most assuredly not one. I watched two urinalysis procedures completed, many blood draws/IV starts, EKG's and helped transport another patient to another part of the hospital. Overall, not exciting.

However, this was my last time (or so I hope) at this hospital. Next Wednesday, I will be at another one--the one that I absolutely loved last semester (so you know I'm setting myself up for failure with these big hopes!! Ha! )

Here is what I learned from hospital one:
  • The staff is not fans of students. Even though they once were students themselves, they'd rather that you just go away
  • All the patients I have thus far encountered are really nice to me. I've gotten hugs and winks from complete strangers.
  • I still love the ER but am not a fan of the way I am treated
  • I still want to do this as a career
Til next week, the start of a brand new hospital adventure!!! Hopefully there will be fewer mishaps and more friendly staff moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment